Or, I’ll have blue M&M’s with sparkling San Pellegrino, in a room that’s exactly 22 degrees… and a titanium straw.
By Scott O’Halloran
Time for the Bunch team to come up for some air!
Over the past month, we’ve smashed out some seriously sizeable events, not just in Australia, but also in the land of the ‘long white cloud’ across the Tasman Sea.
Of course, all such ‘big gigs’ require us to organise travel and entertainment, because:
- You have to get there, and
- Everyone wants to dance, laugh and or smile with a band, comedian/host or DJ (cue Whitney Houston’s ‘I Wanna Dance with Somebody’).
Over the past few months, Bunch has worked with some amazing artists, including LDRU, Daryl Braithwaite, I Oh You Dj’s, Mickey Kojak, Young Franco, Paces, Nicole Millar, Hobophonics, Set Mo, Sosueme DJ’s, Hayden James, Shay & Pearly, Martini Club , The Groove Academy, The Baker Boys, Nick Gulliver and Tommy Little to name a few!
Highly respected by their peers and many fans, all these guys tend to have one thing in common… they usually come with a ‘rider’.
In case you’re not familiar with the term, a rider is “a set of requests or demands that a performer sets as criteria for performance”.
Because the Bunch team is comprised of seasoned travellers, producers and the people who bring riders to life for our hired performers, I thought it would be fun to get some handy tips (and unearth the divas in the Bunch office) by asking them three simple questions.
Here’s a compilation of the best responses…
What items you don’t get on a plane without?
- Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones
- Cross ballpoint pen, Nurofen, lip balm and lip gloss
- Spare jocks (“in case they lose my luggage”)
- Ipad loaded up with movies and TV shows
- Layers, layers, layers.
What items you always take onsite to an event?
- Sharpie, duct tape, Stanley knife, notebook/paper and post-its
- Toms Shoes
- Water Bottle
- Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses
- Deodorant and sunscreen
- The original event plans/creative proposal that was first shown to the client
- 3 pairs of shoes
- Canon 5d camera
- Showbook (which is basic a users-guide to the entire event)
- Laptop and external hard drive with all the project’s electronic filed copied onto it (as a back-up), and
- A phone charger.
And if the tables turned and you were the entertainment for an event, what would be on your rider?
- French Champagne
- Fresh fruit, cheese platter
- A city or ocean view
- San Pellegrino (sparkling and still)
- A Titanium straw
- Leather couches, good mirror,
- 47 packets of salt and vinegar chips
- Eclipse blue mints
- Event-branded merchandise
- 6 pack of beer (local variety of each destination)
- Scotch with coke mixer, fresh lime, Kracken Rum, Navy Strength 4 Pillars Gin
- A tennis ball, or
- Iggy & the Stooges’ 18-page rider, it’s worth the full read: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/lust-laughs
How would you answer these three questions? Let us know!